Sunday, April 25, 2021

The Feast Day of Saint Mark

Today is the feast day of Saint Mark.  Looking back through my blog posts, I'm surprised to find out that I've never written about this feast day. I did some superficial research, and I thought, maybe this is why I haven't written about him:  so many Marks, so hard to know for sure who did what.

Was he the author of the Gospel of Mark?  The one who brought water to the house where the last supper took place?  That strange naked man in the Crucifixion narrative?  It's hard to say.

We do give him credit for founding the church in Egypt, and that fact alone seems important enough for him to have a feast day.  I think of all the church traditions that can be traced back to northern Africa, particularly the work of the desert fathers and mothers, which led to so many variations of monastic traditions.

I also think of Augustine, the important thinker, one of the earliest Christian philosophers, who lived in Hippo.  Would we have had Augustine if Mark hadn't been an evangelist to Egypt?  It's hard to know.  If Mark hadn't gone to Egypt, would someone else?  Probably--but the outcome might have been completely different.

Today is also a good day to turn our thoughts back to those early evangelists, those early disciples.  I often say that if you were putting together a team, you would not have chosen those men.  But God's ways are not our ways when visualizing success.

So for those of us who are feeling inadequate, take heart.  God's plans are greater than our own.

No comments: