Thursday, April 15, 2021

Saying Grace

I have been thinking about how many of us learn to pray.  I've been thinking about the practice of saying grace, as we used to call it in my family of origin, before a meal.  What happens to that practice when we no longer eat formal meals?

I wish I could say that I've carried that practice forward, that I take a moment before every time that I eat, a moment to offer thanks for having food, thanks for the hands that prepared it, thanks for all the people, animals, and creations along the food chain that made it possible.

But I don't.  I drink my fruit smoothie in the morning, and I forget to say grace.  I make myself a midmorning toast and tea, and I forget to say grace.  I eat lunch at my office desk, and I forget to say grace.  I treat myself to a cookie in the afternoon, and I forget to say grace.  I settle down for an evening meal in front of the TV, and I forget to say grace.

I came up with a new twist on saying grace, of a different type of grace to say: "As this food nourishes me, please send me wisdom and insight for other ways that I can be nourished, and other ways that I can be a nourishment for others."

Am I saying it with intention before every time I eat?  No.  Am I saying it on some subconscious level throughout the day?  Yes.

No comments: