Sunday, June 14, 2020

Transplants in a Time of Transmission

My Hindu writer friend lies in a hospital bed in Miami, but it's for a good reason.  On Friday, she got the call that a kidney was available.  Yesterday, doctors transplanted that kidney into her body.

She's been in desperate need of a kidney for many years now.  She's benefiting from a new rule that lets her get a kidney from someone who had Hepatitis C.  She'll be treated for that disease, and she'll have a kidney.  The payoffs are clear to me, and even clearer to her.

I hope that she's restored to full health, but I also know she'll need to be extra careful in these days of a new corona virus that's still ravaging the planet.  Almost all of my close friends down here in South Florida are self-isolating, and I am in full support.

I also realize that I am a potential vector, so even if they were open to being together, I'd have doubts about the wisdom of a gathering.  I'm out and about in the world, so I'd be the one bringing the disease to them.  I don't need that on my conscience; I already have quite enough that pierces me with agonizing guilt, thank you very much.

In a different time, I might be going down to Miami to see my friend, to bring her some books or flowers to brighten her hospital room.  I might be going down to keep her company, and I might be feeling guilt about not being able to go to see her each day, what with having to work and Miami traffic and all the things that keep me from being the stellar human I wish I could be.

So now I feel guilt about being glad that I don't have to feel that guilt.  The new world of COVID-19 means that I can't go see her as visitors are prohibited.  I know that she'll be fine in the hospital without visitors.  She's got electronic ways to connect, and she's lucid enough to be able to do that.

I'm glad that I don't have any non-lucid loved ones to worry about.  I know that these difficult times are even worse when loved ones can't understand what's going on.

Today I will add my friend to the prayer list at my Lutheran church.  Yes, I know she's Hindu, but I also know that she's happy to have us pray for her.  As she says, "The gods network."

I love her ecumenical approach.  I wish that more of us could be accepting in that way.


No comments: