Monday, June 8, 2020

Protest in Pictures

In these past weeks of protest, here's my favorite picture:




That's Sue Tyler, my friend from the Create in Me retreat.  Last week-end, she held this sign at a silent protest in east Tennessee.

The artwork was created by a different Create in Me friend, Vonda Drees.  Sue and I met her at the 2016 Create in Me retreat, where Vonda introduced us to Copic markers.  Vonda left the retreat and went to her new job and the Grunewald Guild.  Through that organization, I've taken several online journaling classes with Vonda, and they've always been astonishing, in terms of what I've accomplished on a daily basis.

This picture is one of my favorites because Vonda created it in Washington state, posted it, and it inspired her son's sermon in Minnesota.  Then it went on to inspire Sue in Tennessee, and later in the day, me in Florida, across the continent from where it was first created and posted earlier in the day.

It's also one of my favorites because it was posted on Pentecost.  I love that we see the Holy Spirit speaking to us through art, moving across the continent through image.  I love this modern twist on Pentecost, that the Holy Spirit can move through Facebook posts and Instagram and other types of social media.

No comments: