Friday, September 18, 2020

The Improvement Projects of God

I got home last night to a house simmering with unpleasantness.  My spouse had attempted a variety of projects, all projects which should have been easy, all projects which went astray, which left my spouse ever more frustrated, and by the time I got home, he was in a foul mood.

Luckily, the dinner he had made was delicious, so there was one thing that worked.  

This morning, I used his experiences as I closed morning watch on my church's Facebook page.  I always end morning watch with a benediction of sorts.  I'm intrigued by how I use the stuff of life in my closing.  This morning, I talked about hoping that we all find meaning in our work, that we have at least one piece of it that comes to successful completion.

And then I took a leap.  I reminded us that we are God's projects, that God is seeing us through to a successful completion, even though we may be at the point where we don't see how we will ever be a successful project of God.

I love this idea of humanity as a home repair project.  I will spend some time thinking about that.  And then, after morning watch, I had a different thought:  what if we're not home repair projects, but God's self-improvement projects?

I know that many of us see God as perfect and complete, unchanging.  Why would God need a self-improvement project if God is perfect?

But I like the idea of God as taking on projects that might lead to a better version of God.  I'm intrigued by the idea that God's creation can help God do that.

No comments: