Monday, September 7, 2020

Messages Going Astray, Messages Finding Their Way

On Saturday, I saw a new-to-me feature in the new Facebook interface:  the New Message Request feature, which somehow is different than an Instant Message (?).  I found a message from back in December, from a RevGals moderator who wanted to use my image from this post.




I felt all sorts of dismay, but they all boiled down to this essential:  how could I have missed this message?

I wrote to the person who wrote it:  "I am so sorry. I think I am just now seeing this message. When I changed to the new FB platform, it showed up in a Message Request area. Of course, it's possible that I did see it and respond. I can't easily see old messages in FB messanger. Nonetheless, I wanted to send belated thanks for your appreciation of my work, and I am so sorry that I didn't see this message earlier--I would have said yes."

She wrote back almost immediately:  "Thank you for the reply. It seems to me that Facebook occasionally tries to create a hide and seek game with some of its features. I looked back at your blog post, and I still find that sketch provocative. Perhaps there will be another occasion when I will ask your permission to share it."

Well, you don't have to educate me the same way twice (I hope).  I wrote to her:  "I'd be happy for you to use it, so I'll go ahead and give you permission now. Thanks for your reply--I saw your message, and my heart just sank. It does make me wonder how many other messages go astray. But I'm glad that I saw your message belatedly. Again, thank you for being so gracious."

And lo and behold, she used it today!  Here's the text that accompanied my sketch:  

DAILY THREAD - Prayer Requests and Check-Ins - Monday-Tuesday September 7-8

Doors can be open, to provide access; they can be closed, to create a barrier. What doors are open or closed in your life today? Here is a thread to share your hopes, your fears, your reflections. How can we pray for you today?


Photo: sketch by RevGal Kristin Berkey-Abbott, used with permission. Created as an Advent reflection last year, it makes me think about congregations now making decisions about opening the door to in-person worship.

No comments: