Friday, September 4, 2020

God as Mindful Mender

Yesterday's verses from the Morning Office (in Phyllis Tickle's The Divine Hours) spoke to me.  Psalm 86:11 says, ". . . knit my heart to you" and Psalm 84: 2 has imagery of a sparrow making a nest beside the altar.  I decided to make a sketch:



This morning I created a haiku (with the caveat that I understand it is a haiku primarily in syllables, not in the true Japanese form that stipulates imagery and mood):

Knit my heart to you.

Make a nest for my lost heart.

Mending frayed edges.

In my closing remarks for morning watch, I talked about the idea of God as a knitter, God as a mender, God who can take our unraveling edges and the parts of our lives that are coming apart at the seams and repair them.  

I like the idea of God as a master mender, a mindful mender.  I needed this reminder.  I am always grateful when morning watch speaks to me too.

No comments: