Tuesday, August 22, 2023

The Canaanite Woman and the Children's Sermon

I have been trying to create children's sermons that are a bit more interactive, a bit more hands on.  But practical reality (short time and traditional church space) means that I have to intersperse the interactive sermons (yeast in a bowl, seeds in soils and rocks) with less interactive ones.  So, last week, when we had the Gospel with Jesus and Peter walking on the water, which was also our Blessing of the Backpack service, I ordered some brass anchors, very small ones, for students to put on a keychain or in their pockets, so that students could remember what and who anchors them (God/Jesus, their church community, their families).

For Sunday's sermon, which has the Canaanite woman reminding Jesus that even dogs get to have scraps from the table, I thought about setting up a table and putting food both on it and under it.  I thought about a skit.  But then I thought about all the ways it could go wrong.

So I had the children imagine their favorite meal, and they were given only enough for them.  Then I took them through different sharing scenarios.  As expected, they would share the meal with a good friend and with family.  They would share their meal with their dog.  They would even share their meal with a dog from down the street that they didn't know very well.

I anticipated this, so I asked, "Would you share your favorite meal with a squirrel?"  Lots of heads shook fiercely.  And then I tried to bring the point home, to tell them that they'd be hearing about a Canaanite woman telling Jesus that he could be doing more than he was, that he could share his meal with more people.

It was a bit simplified, but the children's sermon needs to be.  I try not to oversimplify it too much, and on Sunday, I think I was successful.

No comments: