Monday, August 7, 2023

Feeding a Congregation, Feeding Five Thousand

Yesterday at Faith Lutheran, we talked about the feeding of the 5,000.  I had an idea for a children's sermon, which involved several small loaves and the  children trying to feed the whole congregation.



The bread dough rose and rose and rose. We didn't make matters easier by overfilling the small loaf pans on Saturday when we baked.  So, in some ways, there was plenty of bread to feed the 20-25 adults in the congregation of this small church in Bristol, Tennessee.  Everyone who wanted bread got a small chunk, and there was enough for seconds.



If I do this again in the future, I'd do some discussion beforehand.  "Is this enough bread to feed everyone?  How do you think we should try to get everyone fed?"  Yesterday, I just let them puzzle it through on their own.  I had thought they might consult with each other, but they did not.

It was interesting to watch them distribute the bread.  Some of them tried to measure out the chunks that they tore off.  One girl tried to keep most of the bread.

I didn't comment on their process.  I just noted how our task was different than the ones the disciples faced.  Feeding 20-25 people at church is very different than feeding 5000 in the wilderness.  As with every children's sermon (and adult sermon and teaching session, if I'm honest), I can't be sure what they came away with, what they will retain.

I made this Facebook post on Sunday afternoon, which sums it up:  "For today's children's sermon on the feeding of the 5000 (plus women and children), I arrived with small loaves, and the children went out to the congregation to feed them. Did we have 12 baskets of left overs? No, but the bread did go around, with plenty to spare. Did we learn about miracles? Maybe. Did we learn about our God of abundance? This minister hopes that's what they'll retain, if nothing else."

No comments: