Sunday, July 18, 2021

Pastoring an Intentional Community

Earlier this week, I got an e-mail from Richmond Hill, an intentional religious community who holds as a founding goal the commitment to pray for the city of Richmond, Virginia.  The e-mail was bidding good-bye to one of the co-pastors, and it also mentioned that the community would now be looking for a new co-pastor.

I clicked on over to the job posting.  I was struck by the requirement that one lives on site,full time, in community.  Actually, I was struck by all of it:

"Applicants should: • Sense a calling to residential community life at Richmond Hill • Be ordained (preferred) as a minister in the Christian faith • Have at least 5 years’ experience in a ministerial leadership role • Exhibit a passion for ministries/programs like those offered by Richmond Hill (I'm inserting a link here in case a blog reader wants a sense of their mission) • Demonstrate the ability to convey and inspire commitment to an organization’s mission, including through effective written and verbal communication • Evidence a proven commitment to social justice and racial healing, and an ability to successfully work in an ecumenical environment with people from different backgrounds 

Compensation includes room (an on-site apartment) and board, a modest stipend, health and dental insurance, generous retirement contributions, paid time off (including study leave), and a sacred workplace."

Clearly, I'm not qualified at this point.  But I wanted to record the job posting so that in later years, I'll remember how my heart leaped up as I read this posting.   I want to remember that there are pastoral opportunities like this one.


No comments: