Friday, July 9, 2021

Brunch with a Purpose

At the end of our spiritual certificate program intensive in June, our small group talked about the future of church--will members come back to in-person church in buildings?  Will members decide they'd rather continue to stay in their living rooms, drinking good coffee, and participating that way?  Will they decide that brunch is more their thing, once restaurants open back up fully?

I said, "Maybe we'll find a way to combine it all:  a meal together, intentional conversation, the sacraments.  We could call it 'brunch with a purpose'!"  My small group expressed their approval and said they hoped I'd create something like that.

Out on the other side of the U.S., Lenny Duncan is doing something along those lines.  I saw this Facebook post/invitation from him:  

"It has been a long time coming but we here at the Collective are excited to finally start in person worship and we can’t wait to see you at the YWCA Clark County starting August 7th at 10 am.

This is Brunch Church.

Beloveds: Brunch Church is a simple liturgy designed to walk in conversation with the Table Fellowship practices of 1st century Palestine that Jesus was commonly demonstrating in the Gospels. It’s simple. You show up. We feed you. Someone will preach. We will commune. Maybe some LGBTQIA+ baby gets baptized. We go out into the world with that love embedded in our hearts."

Let me see if I can post the picture:




I love the tag line:  "sacraments.  mimosas.  liberation."  I look forward to seeing how this develops.  I would love to see Brunch Church as a movement that sweeps across the nation.

No comments: