Saturday, January 30, 2021

Seminary, Creativity, Community--Midlife Yearnings and God's Guidance

Early this morning, I made this Facebook post after seeing this web page:  "Does God speak to us through our internet ramblings? Is this the way modern seekers might discern a call? I went to this page and these words stunned me: "DMin Track: Creating Community through the Arts." Seminary, Creativity, Community--all in that one webpage title. Be still my beating heart!"

Granted, I'm not eligible for a DMin yet.  But the MDiv degree, the one that can lead to ordination, also has a theology and arts track.

I have 9 windows open on my computer browser--more than 9, but 9 that are part of the Wesley Theological Seminary.  They have several intriguing tracks, but the theology and the arts track is the one that interests me most.

Before I started looking for this focus, the intersection between theology and the arts, I assumed that there were more.  I have searched and searched and only found one other one, at a UCC seminary in the twin cities, United--but they don't have as many of the arts classes as I would like (for more info, go here).  I've looked at every Lutheran seminary--nope.  I went to some of the schools that I feel might be out of my league, like Candler at Emory (in Atlanta) or Duke; if there's a track that looks at theology and creativity, I'm not finding it.

There's another wink from God in this choice of Wesley:  the theology and arts program is housed at the Henry Luce III Center for the Arts and Religion.  Henry Luce III is the son of Henry Luce, who married Clare Booth Luce.  She is the woman who donated the land for Mepkin Abbey, a spiritual home for me.

Other advantages:  Wesley is in Washington, D.C., another home where I often long to return, and where I still have friend and family connections.  It's a Methodist seminary, so it wouldn't be that far from my Lutheran tradition.  It doesn't require Greek, Hebrew, or other ancient languages--I'm not sure why the thought of the ancient language requirement spooks me so much.

I will keep thinking and dreaming and asking God for guidance--but honestly, this program makes my heart sing, and that fact, right there, is where I hear God saying, "How much more guidance do you need?"

No comments: