Thursday, January 21, 2021

Religious Elements in an Inauguration

I have written a long post on the Inauguration on my creativity blog.  Here I want to think about the religious elements of the day.

I have friends who are atheists, agnostics, and outside of mainstream Christianity and Judaism, by which I mean I have at least one friend in each of the following:  Hindu, Quaker, Unitarian/Universalist, Wiccan.  I am aware of the many ways that religious elements can make people feel excluded.

I was heartened that Biden went to a Mass on the morning of his inauguration.  I was REALLY heartened by the number of other political leaders (from both parties) who went with him.  While I don't think it was broadcast live or recorded, if you want to read the homily, you can go here.  

It did not contain many surprises, and perhaps this quote best summarizes the message:  "I am sure that today’s inaugural address will be a bit longer than Jesus’ brief reading from the Jewish scriptures! But knowing the Bidens, I am confident that the substance of today’s inaugural address will echo Jesus’ message because your public service is animated by the same conviction to help and protect people and to advance justice and reconciliation, especially for those who are too often looked over and left behind, the people whose voices you raised in the campaign and throughout your public life."

To me, there's nothing objectionable in the message of service and protection.  I felt similarly about the opening and closing prayers of the Inauguration, but I realize that I have a bias.  Here is the text of the opening prayer, which is a little less inclusive than the closing prayer, which I can't find in written form.  I was struck throughout the closing prayer about how it was inclusive--even in its reference to the Divine.  I'll keep looking for the specific words.  It didn't occur to me to take notes.

There will be a prayer service today which will be livestreamed at 10 a.m.  It's an amazing line up, and I plan to watch/listen while I'm working at my desk.  For more information, go here.  I'll be interested to see which religious elements people emphasize.  Can a spirit of unity and ecumenism be sustained?

I hope so.

No comments: