Saturday, July 28, 2018

Summer Slipping Away

I have been looking at the pictures from Lutheridge, where they've been celebrating Christmas in July.  I wonder what it would be like to return to Lutheridge for a more traditional summer camp week.  As a child, I went almost every summer for a week.  As an adult, I return to camp in the non-summer seasons, most often the Create in Me retreat.

I've been looking at pictures this week in particular because my nephew is at camp for the first time, and I've been hoping to catch a glimpse of him.  I see him in one picture on the climbing rock wall, looking like he's having a great time--hurrah!

For most of us, these are the waning weeks of summer.  Most camps will only have a few more weeks to offer school age kids experiences of all sorts.  Many public school teachers report back for work in the next week or two or three.  Even those of us who have jobs that aren't affected by the school year calendar may find ourselves impacted.  I'm seeing back to school supplies already in the stores.

But we still have a few weeks--and many of us will have longer than with hot weather.  Let us seize the joys of summer:  the perfect melon, the perfect ice cream, the perfect tropical drink.  Let us take an afternoon with a good book.  Let us enjoy the dark, air conditioned joy of a movie theatre.  Let us build a fire and eat s'mores.  Let us have an outdoor worship service.  Whatever brings you joy this summer, take some time to do it before the season slips away.

No comments: