Sunday, March 28, 2010

Holy Week Begins

Today, Holy Week begins. My church, like most other ELCA churches, will do the whole Passion story today. Then some of us will return to do parts of it again on Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. The very thought of it exhausts me.

When did we begin doing the whole Passion story on Palm Sunday? I know it's been some time now, but I'm almost sure that the church of my childhood in the 1970's didn't.

My mom says that churches started this approach as more and more people didn't come back to church for Maundy Thursday and Good Friday. Part of me understands; my life is hectic too. Part of me thinks, well, if people can't make it back for Holy Week services, that's their loss.

I wonder if there are pastors and churches out there that stick to their guns and simply do Palm Sunday on Palm Sunday. Why must we do Passion Sunday?

Of course, what I really suspect is true is that I need a bit of attitude adjustment. Why do I feel so snarly about this subject? Why am I so judgmental? What do I need to consider or reconsider?

Part of my growliness comes from trying to do too much in one Sunday, so that the Sunday service feels hectic--and lately, I've wanted more quiet, more contemplation. Instead, we'll rush through the whole Passion story. Part of my growliness comes from this sense that time is zooming by--how can it be Holy Week already? Part of my growliness comes from feeling pressed for time, and doing the whole Passion on one Sunday, far from saving me time, reminds me that we're all facing this challenge.

I hope to find some Holy Week space to remember the significance of all of this. In the hurry and the rush, I want to open my heart to gratitude.

No comments: