Sunday, January 14, 2024

First Minister's Annual Report

I've been working on my first ever Minister's Report to the Congregation.  It seems worth recording the report here, too.

Minister Kristin’s Report

My first Sunday at Faith Lutheran was the first Sunday in June.  As we drove over the mountains, I thought about all the changes that would occur in the landscape during my time as Synod Appointed Minister.  I was looking forward to getting to know the congregation and to celebrating the liturgical seasons together.

 In terms of worship, we’ve covered much territory together, from parables to apocalyptic texts to Advent and now the early days of Christ’s ministry.  I never stop looking for ways to connect the children’s sermon to the rest of the worship.  I’ve enjoyed seeing the worship space change.  We’ve experimented with different ways to do communion, and I appreciate the flexibility.

 We’ve had great times of fellowship—what wonderful meals we have shared!  Hearing about the other fellowship times that have happened during the week without me in attendance makes me happy.  Let’s not forget the wide variety of community outreach too:  raising money and gathering supplies for the local food pantry and a no-kill animal shelter, knotting quilts for Lutheran World Relief, and creating the Trunk or Treat event, just to name a few.  I am impressed with what a supportive community this church has created.

 We’ve had regular Sundays together and festival Sundays.  We’ve celebrated milestones, like the baptism that happened on the last Sunday of November.  What a treat to welcome a happy baby into our family of Christ!  On the first Sunday of February, and for the following few weeks, I’ll be working with children who haven’t had first communion instruction yet—another important milestone to celebrate.

 When I hear people talk (or read articles) about the ways the larger church is in trouble, I think of this congregation and all the ways this congregation negates arguments about how the Church is dying.  My faith has been strengthened by our time together, and I see evidence of God at work in this community.  I know that with churches like Faith Lutheran, all is not lost. 


No comments: