Saturday, September 18, 2021

Social Justice Meetings and Prayers -- on Zoom

 Last night, I met with my church group that works on justice issues.  In the past, we would have met at someone's house or in the church fellowship hall.  Now, because of the pandemic, we met on Zoom.

In some ways, it was better to meet by way of Zoom.  I was able to be at the meeting in one room, while my husband taught his Philosophy class in the next room.  I didn't have the half hour drive each way.  It was good to see everyone.

My church is meeting in person, but I don't feel like I really catch up with people.  I'm trying to stay distanced, physically.  But since we discontinued our interactive service, I haven't felt like I really catch up with people.  Sigh.

At the end of the night, our group leader asked if I would do the closing prayer, as the person in the group who's most likely to be a pastor in a few years.  I said, "Sure.  Unless someone else wants to."  No one else did.

As I prayed, with no pre-planning, I found myself wishing we had been recording the meeting and the prayer.  So let me try to recreate it here:


Creator God, we thank you for this ability 

to come together in this safe space.

We pray for those who do not have safe spaces.

Give us the courage to keep fighting

for all of those who have no safe space to sleep tonight.

Give us the wisdom to create

a world where everyone has a safe space.

And later tonight, when we lay down

in our own safe spaces,

give us the rest that refreshes,

so that we can rise in the morning ready to continue

the work of transforming the world.

No comments: