Saturday, September 11, 2021

Bishop Installations on Grim Anniversaries

Today, in the midst of September 11 remembrances, the Sierra Pacific synod of the Lutheran Church (ELCA) will officially install the first openly out trans bishop.  As far as I can tell, it's an even larger event; I am almost sure that this installation will be a first across denominations.  And because of the power of technology, we can all witness it by going to this site for the livestream (you'll need to scroll down).

I spent some time earlier this week reading the worship materials, which can be accessed here, and it looks like it will be a beautiful service, full of meaning.   Ideally, of course, every worship service would be beautiful and full of meaning, but that's not always the case.

I have seen some concern about the fact that this service takes place on September 11, and part of me understands.  But the larger part of me likes having life-affirming events take place on days of grim memories.  I know people who decided to get married on this day for just that very reason, and again, I understand that some people find the thinking problematic.

But on this day, I plan to celebrate the movement to a more inclusive church, and the hope that this movement will help create a world where planes don't fly into skyscrapers in an act of terrorism.

No comments: