Monday, April 13, 2020

The Strangest Easter

Yesterday was a very strange Easter--but then again, I don't have a usual Easter.  Some years, we've spent much of Easter at church.  Other years, we haven't gone at all.  One year we created our own service on a rocky beach in Hawaii.  One year, I was on my way to Mepkin Abbey, where I would return to the Easter readings more often than I have before or since.

Yesterday I didn't wear any Easter finery--but then again, I often don't wear finery, either Easter or any other kind.  I helped with the Easter Sunday livestream.  We had some technical difficulties, but we worked around them.  I did spend the whole service worrying that I would touch something on our pastor's iPhone and bring the whole service stream to a crashing halt.

Before the 10:00 service, my spouse had choir rehearsal at 8:30.  I made a few cloth masks.  I was making one to send to my parents, and two of my friends who are in the choir asked me to make them one.  So I did.  I'm not making masks to last--I use pinking shears to minimize the sewing I have to do.  I sew a panel of flannel to the interior of the mask which holds the layers together.  I sew two fabric ribbons to the sides; I gather the two corners together to make pleats of a sort.

I didn't do much sketching yesterday, but I did make bread.  I wanted to do some sort of hot cross bun, but I didn't have time before our church duties.  As the afternoon progressed, my spouse proposed we make bunny bread.  I'm not sure what trick of photography makes my spouse's hand look so strange in the photo below, as he placed carrots on the bread to make a face:




We both grew up with our mothers making a bunny cake from two round cakes, so it was the perfect way to celebrate for us:




The bread was really tasty, but much healthier than a bunny cake would be--and we didn't have to go to the grocery store for ingredients.



We ended the day by listening to some great music; we kept returning to this recording of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken?"--such talent gathered together!

It seemed perfect for Easter and for what made this Easter particularly strange:  it was the 15th anniversary of my mother-in-law's death.  It was both good and strange to sit together watching great gospel music delivered by some of country music's finest musician.  I think she would have liked the way we remembered her:  church in the morning, bunny bread in the afternoon, and gospel music as the day faded.

No comments: