Saturday, April 11, 2020

Morning Watch Update

For almost 2 weeks, at 5:30 a.m., I've been livestreaming a morning watch on my church's Facebook page; it's recorded so that people who don't get up as early as I do can watch it later.  When I first started thinking about doing this process, I thought that I would choose the Bible verses.  But then I wondered why--after all, we have a daily lectionary.

So I've been using Phyllis Tickle's The Divine Hours.  I don't read all the selections, just a few of the verses from the Psalms, the Gospel reading, and the concluding prayer.  I also give time for sketching.

Here's how it usually works:

2-3 readings from Psalms

1 reading from the Gospel

1 reading from Psalms (usually a longer passage)

5-8 minutes of quiet, which I use to sketch--others might journal or meditate or do centering prayer or stretch or do yoga, . . .

concluding prayer

some sort of benediction and closing

I am really enjoying this time, and a few others tune in every day, either live or by watching the recording.  I enjoy that it makes me do the readings myself and to take time for sketching.  In the benediction, I send out words of hope, words I need to hear myself.

As I hear myself, I wonder how I sound to others.  I feel like I sound like a 70's PBS show, if Bob Ross had ever decided to do morning devotionals.

Will I continue to do this if life returns to some semblance of normal, and I'm going to spin class?  I have no idea--so much depends on so many unknowns.

But I'm happy to be doing it now--it's a small joy in this pandemic time of fear and grief.

No comments: