Saturday, April 4, 2020

Palm Sunday Doors and Other Ways to Stay Engaged from a Distance

Our pastor is doing a great job keeping us all engaged online.  He started posted people praying The Lord's Prayer, and it's been great to see people again this way.  Plus, we see them in all sorts of settings; most pray in living rooms, some in cars, some outside. 

My pastor has been doing evening prayer, along with a midday Bible study.  I've been doing Morning Watch; I use parts of Phyllis Tickle's The Divine Hours, along with time for sketching.



Last week, my pastor put out a call for pictures of palms decorating our doors.  We live in South Florida, so there's no problem procuring palms.



My spouse had ripped a small palm right out of the ground because it was growing too close to the house, so we had palm branches to spare.  We have an iron grid around the little window that opens, so we had a place to put them.



I had a vision of a weaving of small Palm strips, but I liked my spouse's arrangements just as well.  So we've left it as big branches.

As dusk moved from twilight to dark, I thought about the ways that doors are part of springtime religious festivals.  The Jewish festival of Passover features doors most prominently, but Christians consider people hiding behind shut doors as we move from Maundy Thursday to Good Friday to Easter.  I don't have a tradition of decorating the door for Holy Week, but this year, it seems to fit.

No comments: