Saturday, March 21, 2020

Drive Through Communion

Earlier this week, my pastor sent out communication that we'd do drive through communion with a blessing on Friday.  We'd have 2 opportunities:  from 1-2 p.m. and from 6-7 p.m.

I decided to go.  I needed to do a few errands, and I could loop by the church.  As I was driving and cursing at my fellow drivers who were not paying attention, I realized that I might be in more need of a blessing than I knew.

It couldn't have been easier.  Our church has a front door with a covered area outside of the door and  a pair of benches.  I pulled up and rolled down the window.

My pastor sanitized his hands (he planned to do that before and after each parishioner).  He picked up a tray (the cover to a box of printer paper, actually).  He handed me a wafer and a plastic cup of wine along with the words of institution.  Then he blessed me:  "May the Lord bless you and keep you, . . . and keep you safe."

I made the sign of a cross back to him and said, "May God keep you safe too."  He smiled and said, "Thank you."  We smiled at each other.  And then I drove away. 

I don't know why my pastor decided to do this, but I'm grateful.  And I'm not the only one who needed this experience.  We had about 2 days of lead time, but the message got out--21 people came for a drive through sacrament.

As my pastor posted on Facebook:  "21 people drove up for “communion on the go” today. Is it an ideal way to commune? No. Was it meaningful ? Sure seemed so. Blessings to all - much love"

I know that most pastors have seen an already stressful job become even more stressful in these past few weeks.  I'm grateful for all the ways these pastors are making life a bit easier.  I'm grateful for the grace.

No comments: