Friday, March 20, 2020

Disruptions

My sleep schedule is a bit disrupted, and I'm probably not alone.  My disruption presents as waking up between midnight and 2 a.m. and not falling back asleep.

I try to make the best of my insomnia, which visits me periodically.  This morning, I did manage to write a poem.  I wish I could say that I always turn to writing during my wakefulness, but sadly, I'm often scrolling and scrolling, looking for information.  My corona virus insomnia is similar to impending hurricane anxiety--I can't quit looking for updates.

As I was scrolling, I came across some unexpected resources.  Here's a website that tells us how to sew cloth masks that could be used in case of shortage--it's a fairly simple process.  Many of us have time on our hands right now and nervous energy to burn. Why not put it to use?

I came across this choral arrangement of St. Patrick's Breastplate sung by VOCES8 singing in St Vedast Church in London.  Their voices are gorgeous.  Then I did some internet wandering and found some other videos of the group singing in settings that look like ancient cathedrals.

Ah, to sing in an ancient cathedral!

I had been planning to travel today, but it is not to be.  I had planned a week-end trip to meet up with my sister and help my mom celebrate her 81st birthday.  A few weeks ago, we didn't really take this disease into our plans.  I found really cheap airline tickets, and we saw that as a sign to proceed.

We've had many conversations about whether or not to cancel.  In the end, considerations about the age of my parents and the spread of the virus made us decide to have me stay home; my sister, who hasn't had the level of possible exposure that I've had, will still be there to celebrate.

We live in a time of many disruptions.  I had planned to patronize some local shops, like the wine shop, who could use extra support during this time of crisis.  Yesterday, the wine shop sent an e-mail that said that they would be closing for the next month.  They offered some great deals, and we stocked up.  But that's not the way I envisioned supporting them.

I know that greater disruptions are yet to come.  At some point, we may look back and wonder at how slowly we adapted to the new reality.

No comments: