Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Compline and Other Online Opportunities

Last night, I participated in an online Compline service--I use the word service loosely.  It was one of my Facebook friends who was on Facebook Live.  She read the Compline service from the Book of Common Prayer.

From what I could tell, she was in a contemplative corner of her house.  It could have been a living room or a study.  She had some books in front of her, and a candle.  There was a cross on the wall.  The vibe was soothing.

We participated by making a comment in writing, but if there was a way to be more interactive, I didn't discover it.

It took all of about 10 minutes, as my Facebook friend read through the service; I had wondered if she would read or chant. 

I wish I could say that I went to bed immediately and slept through the night.  I confess that I wasted my calm feelings by going back to Internet scrolling where I found news of more closings.  It was almost an hour before I yanked myself away, went to bed, and fell asleep.

My church is about to experiment with being fully online.  Although we met in person on Sunday (a skeleton crew of a congregation), we won't be meeting in person again for at least a few weeks.

Last night's Compline service made me think about the alternate ways we might try.  I know that a lot of churches have been having online services by having the pastor do the whole service in an empty church.

Maybe we could do church REALLY differently.  I don't know what that would look like.  But I think we might be about to find out.

No comments: