Tuesday, March 3, 2020

A Prayer for Super Tuesday

In fourteen states, polls will open in a few hours.  People will cast a vote that may or may not help decide who will run against President Trump later this year. Or maybe their votes will muddle the issue.  Democracy is both wonderful and messy.

I find it interesting that I've never written prayers for Super Tuesday.  I may have said prayers, but if I had written any prayers, I would have recorded them in this blog.  I've written prayers for national election days, but not as much for primaries.

Many election years don't feel as important to me.  In past election years, I've had a preference, but I've felt that all of the people running would do the best job that they could, even as the people had different capabilities.

To put it more bluntly, in past years, I haven't felt as worried that we might be sliding down a road that ends in a totalitarian state.  I haven't felt as worried about the influence of other countries.  Until the past few years, I have always thought that the person who won the presidency would be working for the good of the country--call me naive.

So, let me compose a prayer for Super Tuesday:

Creator God, you have given us so many resources.  Help us not to squander them.  Help us in this moment of discernment.  Help us to choose the ones who have the best chance to lead us wisely.

No comments: