Thursday, August 22, 2019

Locker Room Theology

I couldn't resist the title, although it does give me pause to think about the kind of searches that might turn up this particular blog post. 

Lately, I've been thinking about the kinds of theology that people consume outside of church and books.  There's a woman at my gym who showers at the same time I do.  She always has something playing on her phone, and since she's not using earbuds, I get to hear it too.

At first, I was irritated.  I am weary of all the noise that comes my way each day, both the invited kind and the uninvited kind.  But then I became curious about what she's listening to.

It's all inspirational stuff, some of it tinged with theology, some not.  It's the "if you can believe it, you can achieve it," "change your attitude, change your altitude" kind of message.  Part of me enjoys hearing it.  Part of me pokes holes in the logic.  Part of me wants to argue back about the ways that society is structured to keep most of us from achieving, no matter how committed we are.

I'm most intrigued by the same message delivered in the thunderous style of old-timey preachers.  Now the language is cloaked with some religious ideas about praying and offering up to God and such, but still no mention of God's vision of justice and working for those who don't have our same opportunities.

Part of me wants to believe it's fairly harmless--in fact, better than some things we could be listening to first thing in the morning.  Part of me wants more comfort, some relief from this message of relentless striving.  Part of me wants to be encouraged to dream a different vision.

No comments: