Friday, August 2, 2019

A More Expansive View of Discernment

I have always thought of discernment as a process we use for our big decisions--usually life altering decisions, like whether or not to change jobs or form a family.  I have recently been joking that saying I'm in a time of discernment sounds better than saying that I'm just flailing/failing at figuring out my future.

But lately, I've been thinking that I'm selling the idea of discernment a bit short.

After a conversation I had with the pastor who is in charge of the spiritual direction certificate program that interests me most, I've been trying to think of discernment differently.  At the end of our phone call, the pastor said that people who get skilled at the process of discernment use it on a daily basis to hear what God is saying about every element of their lives.

It's an interesting idea to me.  I tend to sell not only discernment short, but God, too.  I have spent my whole life not wanting to be a bother.  I'll tell you that there's a problem, but only if it's a big one.  I often don't share my daily joys with people who love me. 

I take this same view of God.  Why would God be interested in my puny life?  I tend to only bring my big problems to God, even though I'm part of a religious tradition that proclaims that God wants to be more involved in our daily lives.

Let me start to think of discernment differently.  Let me take a more active approach to listening for God.

No comments: