Tuesday, August 14, 2018

Mosaics: From Pentecost to Ordinary Time

Our 9:45 interactive service members have been transforming the sanctuary from the warm colors of Pentecost to the greens of Ordinary Time leading to the blues of Advent.  This past Sunday, we revisited our glass blocks, which once looked like this:



One Sunday a few weeks ago, I wondered if we could use the other side.  So I decided to find out.  If we ruined them, well, we've enjoyed them for several months, and I'm still not sure what happens to these projects in the long run.  So I bought some glass mosaic pieces in colors of blues and greens. 





On Sunday, I laid out the glass blocks and let people go to work. 




The first time we did mosaics in May, people seemed much more hesitant.  They laid out patterns before choosing one.  This time, people started gluing right away.



I like this block for Advent:



Will we be able to see the Pentecost tiles through the blocks?  And if so, will it be distracting or just intriguing?  I tried to see by propping a glass block up, but I still can't really tell.



More will be revealed when we set them up on the altar on Sunday.

No comments: