Sunday, August 26, 2018

Hard Times and Honor

Like much of the country, I was saddened this morning to hear of the death of John McCain.  Even though he was 81, I hoped he would have many more years with us because he seemed so vital.  Even though his brain cancer diagnosis seemed grim, I hoped he would be one of the rare survivors.

I wouldn't feel this way about everyone, of course--part of the reason that I hoped he'd stick around longer is because he was such a model of how to behave.  He didn't behave perfectly because nobody does.  But his ability to apologize impressed me.  His ability to work with those who didn't share his beliefs impressed me even more, and because that ability is in short supply these days, I wanted him to remain in the Senate.

I admired his ability to take a stand, and if he believed it was right, to stick with it, even if it was a lonely position.  Happily, the stands that he took were often rooted in a position of solidly good morals and ethics.

What makes a politician who can do what McCain did?  Why do so few of us seem able to do what he did?

Part of his character can be found in his upbringing as son of a Navy admiral.  But plenty of military kids don't share his success story.

Part of his character was formed in his time in a POW prison, a brutal, breaking time.  I would not wish that on my worst enemy--not that I really have any enemies.  But it is worth noting that with the two passings we've had recently, Aretha Franklin and John McCain, hard times helped form them into the impressive people they became.

It's worth remembering, especially when we go through hard times of our own.  Most of us would prefer to avoid those hard times, of course.  But if we approach our hard times with an open mind, perhaps those hard times will become a crucible which will form us into better humans.

No comments: