Thursday, May 30, 2013

Moonlight Sonatas

I have Nora Gallagher's latest book, Moonlight Sonata at the Mayo Clinic.  I'm a little afraid to read it.

I thought I was afraid to read it because it's about a journey through an illness.  I worried that I would become like those medical students who learn about a variety of illnesses and become convinced that they have every single one.

I know that part of her journey involves eyesight, and that worries me because my eyes are feeling the effects of age more than they once did.  I told my eye doctor about the left eye which has a tendency to get teary.  He suggested I get more sleep.

This morning, I read the first part of Gallagher's book, and I recognized a different illness, one which so many of us share:  "Even when I didn't need to rush, I rushed.  I fast-brushed my teeth, I washed the dishes so fast I dropped them, I threw laundry in the direction of the washing machine, my mind working on the things not happened yet" (22).

My eyes get teary for a different reason, as I, too recognize these symptoms.

She talks about travelling the country to talk about religion and spirituality, while she has less time for those practices herself.  I'm interested to see how this story unfolds.

I'm afraid I'll recognize myself.

No comments: