Yesterday I drove down to Columbia, SC to meet my parents so that we could all go to the James R. Crumley Archives banquet. In years past, I've seen pictures of the event, and I've always been curious. This year, schedules aligned, and we could go.
Each year, as far as I can tell, the banquet is held at a different place. So far, the Archive has not had a permanent home. That's about to change: Newberry College has donated land for a building and now the capital campaign begins. We heard a bit about that new development last night.
![]() |
| (l-r Don Poole, Ina Berkey, Jane Mitcham,Tom Berkey) |
But most of last night's banquet was to celebrate the accomplishments of the honorees: an individual, a church, and a synod of the ELCA. It was enough of a program to justify the banquet, but not so overwhelming/long that people started leaving early.
![]() |
| (l-r Honoree Dorothy Jeffcoat, Don Poole, Ina Berkey) |
Before the event, we had been invited to be part of a program that told the story of African American Lutherans in the southeast. That program turned out to be a documentary that's available to all (go here to watch), along with some segments about Atlanta from a forthcoming documentary in the same series.
It was a lovely evening with good food, good stories/speeches, and even better, the chance to reconnect with others from the region. I was happy to be reminded of all my connections: to individuals, to various churches, to synods from the southeastern United States, to Newberry College, and to church camps. But more than that, I was happy to hear the stories of all the good happening in the world, in small ways and in big ways.


No comments:
Post a Comment