I thought about making a Facebook post that said "Endorsed!" But most people wouldn't know what I meant--they'd rightly ask, "Endorsed by whom?"
On Wednesday, I met for an Endorsement panel for Candidacy in the Southeastern Synod for the ELCA, the more inclusive expression of the Lutheran church in the U.S. I had already written a 39 page Endorsement essay, which was really 7 writing prompts, which had me do a mix of new writing and including papers written for classes. So I had already answered a lot of questions that the Candidacy Committee might have had: why do you want to be Lutheran or why do you want to be ordained or how do you understand Luther's theology for our time?
We talked about some of those answers, of course. But we spent more time talking about my experiences as a creative/artistic person and as a minister at a small, country church in Bristol, TN. It was a wonderful experience: I felt affirmed and supported the whole way through.
I know that I am lucky. I've heard the Candidacy horror stories, stories across denominations. My experience was much more like a really deep, really nourishing conversation during a retreat where the real world won't intrude.
I'll probably write more about this experience in weeks to come. I didn't want to write about the Wed. conversation before I got word about the decision of the larger Candidacy Committee that met yesterday.
By late afternoon, I got the word by way of e-mail: "Congratulations! The candidacy committee overwhelmingly approved you for endorsement!"
What does this mean? It's the last phase before Ordination. I have an internship to do, which will be at Faith Lutheran, where I am their Synod Appointed Minister. It will be from Advent to Easter. I will meet with the Committee in April, with ordination expected shortly after.The synod is very supportive of my need to be bi-vocational, as I am now on the tenure track at Spartanburg Methodist College.
No comments:
Post a Comment