Monday, May 20, 2024

The Day After Pentecost

This morning I'm thinking about the morning after Pentecost--not so much my day after Pentecost, but that day after the first Pentecost of rushing wind and tongues of flame.  When the disciples woke up the next morning, what were their thoughts?  What happened on day 2?

Acts 2 gives us a general idea in very broad strokes:  42 They devoted themselves to the apostles’ teaching and to fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. 43 Everyone was filled with awe at the many wonders and signs performed by the apostles. 44 All the believers were together and had everything in common. 45 They sold property and possessions to give to anyone who had need. 46 Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, 47 praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

But I wonder about the individual who was there:  the disciple, the woman follower, a member of the crowd.  Did they wake up on the morning after and think, what happened yesterday?

As I was getting ready for Sunday worship yesterday, I thought about past Pentecosts, about years when we had a crew of confirmands and years we didn't.  I thought about people who might be ordained.  I thought about banners we created at my Florida church years ago and wondered if Trinity Lutheran would be using them.  They lasted longer than I thought they might--they were made out of tissue paper and fabric and glue.

We had fewer worshippers yesterday at Faith Lutheran in Bristol, Tennessee, where I am the Synod Appointed Minister, but we did have two visitors.  They were people from the community, so perhaps they will be back.  Our worship yesterday wasn't different from our normal worship, so it's not like visiting a church on Christmas Eve or Easter, where you don't get a very representative experience.

Yesterday when I got to Faith Lutheran, I was alone in the sanctuary.  I was struck by the simple Pentecost beauty of the space:


The windows are perfect for Pentecost!  I started my SAM experience almost a year ago, on the Sunday after Pentecost, and one of the first things my spouse and I noticed was the windows.  It's unusual to see church windows that are just one color of glass like the ones above.  We talked about how they would be perfect for Pentecost.

I'm glad to still be here, so that I could see for myself.

No comments: