Thursday, December 10, 2020

Outdoor Church

I wish we had had this morning's chilly weather when we had outdoor church for the first time this past Sunday.  But last Sunday, it was much warmer.

We got to the church an hour and a half before the start time.  We needed the time to set up and for choir rehearsal.  





We hauled equipment from the sanctuary and lugged the piano out into the back area that would serve as the chancel.




The choir rehearsed, and I went to the office to start sorting the offering that had come in since last week when we did the counting.  Then I went out back and figured out where to put my folding chair.  I was grateful for the shade, but it was still uncomfortable with bugs and no breeze to cool the 84 degree heat.  The candles on the Advent wreath stayed lit for about two minutes:







As people gathered and set up their lawn chairs, I did have a moment of strange emotion--here we were, together for the first time since mid-March.  We were able to have communion together while spaced far apart behind the church.







The outdoors provided all sorts of distractions.  The sky was brilliant blue and occasionally a flock of birds flew by.  Every so often, the small planes from the nearby regional airport buzzed by.  I often looked up and breathed deeply.  Then I swatted a bug.  We're about 2 blocks away from a very busy fire station, and the church is at the intersection of 2 busy streets, so there was no end to traffic noises.  We also smelled someone's barbecue.

If my spouse wasn't part of the choir, I'd just stay home for the next few weeks of outdoor church.  There's not much participating, and sitting in a mask outside is just not pleasant.  If I'm going to sit and watch church happening, I'd rather do it from the comfort of my living room.

No comments: