Friday, November 8, 2019

Days of Death and Leaves

This morning, I went to Facebook, as I often do first thing, as I often wish that I didn't.  I try to justify my Facebook scrolling as a spiritual practice, but I often forget to do the thing I resolve to do, which is pray as I scroll. 

Some days, there is much praying to do--and I'm not even talking about people's political posts.

This morning, I went to Facebook and found 2 different friends had posted about the death of their mothers.  What are the odds of that?

One mother was sick and in hospice, so the news wasn't unexpected.  The other mother wasn't sick, but she was 89 years old.  I wrote messages of sympathy while I prayed.

I think of a few months ago when my friend sent me a Facebook message saying, "My mom died today."  I knew that she was sick, so I wasn't surprised.  I replied right away.

I am fascinated by how we are using these new technological tools.  I know more immediately when someone has died--or at least, I do if I'm connected that day and/or if the algorithm thinks it's important enough to show it to me.  I can offer sympathy immediately.

As with past tools, I am aware of the inadequacy of offering sympathy, whether by way of cards or Facebook message.

This week, I have already been thinking about this time of year in the higher latitudes, when autumn closes in and begins the shift to winter.  I think about the feast days of All Saints and All Souls.  In this time of the time change, the day seems to slip away even faster, which makes me also think about how quickly the year has slipped away and in an even larger sense, how quickly life slips away.

Let me resolve to seize the life that is left.  Let me appreciate my loved ones, particularly my mom, while we're all still on this side of the grave.

No comments: