Monday, April 22, 2019

Easter Sunday Wrap Up

Our church was packed yesterday.  We usually have 40-60 people in the pews on a regular Sunday, which leaves lots of room.  Yesterday, we didn't have much space empty.  What a delight to sing in a sanctuary full of voices.

We finished the first Easter hymn and from somewhere near the back, a little voice proclaimed, "Yay!"  Our pastor smiled and said, "Ah, the Easter yay."  The little voice said it several more times.  I was so glad that we didn't hear any shushing.

We had a good church service.  Our pastor's message focused on the women who weren't believed at first, and then our pastor circled back to Jesus' good news for those, like women, who had been marginalized.

At one point, we had thought we might skip Easter service.  My sister and nephew were in town, and they usually don't want to go to church.  But my spouse was integral to the choir, which had a piece that had been composed with his violin skills in mind.  He floated the idea to my sister a few weeks ago, and she said they'd go, especially if they didn't have to dress up.

We do not have a church that requires dressing up.  We're in a vacation place, after all.

We didn't have brunch at church or watch the Easter egg hunt.  My spouse and I had already told our counting team that we couldn't count.  We went home and had a quiet Easter Sunday, soaking in one last day of sunshine and later grilling some lamb chops.

Easter is not my favorite church holiday; Christmas gets that honor.  But it's good for me to remember that Easter has its delights too.

No comments: