Saturday, September 8, 2018

Soaring with Strengths

This week has been O.K.ish--it feels hectic at work. I have noticed that a 3 day week-end affects me differently as an administrator than as a teacher. As an administrator, I get back to work, and the remaining 4 days feel jam-packed--no pixies have been in the office taking care of everything, so the work still remains when I return. As a teacher, I could plan differently.

When I look back at this week at work, I want to remember the students who were so grateful for the food I brought in from the donated day old baked goods from Publix. When I was trying to get my steps in, I walked to the 4th floor, and the classroom door was open. I heard a student talking to the teacher about how much she needed the day old bread that she’d gotten out of the freezer last week. And yesterday, a student thanked me for the food I set out. And I said, “I know that some of our students have food insecurity, and I want them to have something.” She told me that she was one of those students, and she usually tries to take food from work.

Part of me feels that the most important work I do as an administrator is to make the campus a more welcoming place. Part of me worries that I’m neglecting some task that I don’t like to do, a task that would involve a spreadsheet, to do the work that I like doing.

But then again, I think about the leadership series that our Executive Director is showing us at each meeting: Trombone Player Wanted. It’s a soar with your strengths kind of approach to leadership. Figure out what you love about your job and do more of it.

What does it mean that I really like feeding people? It’s not about the food or making the food. It’s about the sense of nurturing that I feel.  It's also the sense of being able to help people but to do it without fanfare, so that the people being helped don't feel weird about it.

It's interesting to think about the Bible verses that have soaked their way into my brain and my actions.  I think about the passages that have Christ telling us not to proclaim our good works, but to do them quietly.  Some might say, "You do it quietly, on site, but here you are, blogging about it."

No comments: