Saturday, September 29, 2018

Praying for a World where People Are Not Prey

Today, let me try to heal my heartbreak that came this week from hearing all the voices of women who have endured sexual assault.  Let me remember that the first step to making a better world comes when people speak to say "This situation is not O.K."  Let me remember that the first steps to a safer world come when the oppressed say, "This must change."  Let me remember that it is possible that the world will respond by making changes.




Let me think of Mepkin Abbey, a place that soothes my heart.  Let me remember that the Abbey is built on a site of oppression.




 Once the land held a plantation with many of its inhabitants killed or enslaved.






Now the monks care for the land in a variety of ways. 



In doing so, they also care for spiritual pilgrims who need sustenance.



In a time of great turmoil, new life may bloom.



In a time of clouds, a light can pierce the upper windows of our hidden rooms.


May we always be working/praying/longing for a world where people are not prey, a world where all are protected:


No comments: