Sunday, April 29, 2018

Liberation Theology Loses a Great Theologian

A great liberation theologian has died--James H. Cone was 79, so it wasn't an unexpected or tragic death.  But his was a voice that seems essential for our time.  We can't say that about every theologian who dies at an older age.

I'm sure that I read one or two of his books at a younger age.  Perhaps it was Black Theology & Black Power or A Black Theology of Liberation.  But I confess that I didn't read his work regularly.  Frankly, these days, there's no theologian whose work I read regularly, which says more about my time than it does about the work of theologians.

I've added a more recent work of his to my Amazon cart.  I am resolved to read The Cross and the Lynching Tree sooner rather than later.

Here's an early Twitter announcement.  I have a vision of liberation theology tweets taking over the online universe.  It's not likely to happen, but a girl can dream.


 

No comments: