Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Getting Ready for the Create in Me Retreat

In two days, I hope I'll be on the road already to the Create in Me retreat at Lutheridge.  We still have space for late registrants:  Go here: https://novusway.campbrainregistration.com/

I feel like my brain is getting increasingly frazzled, as I try to keep track of all that must be done in this very important first week of spring quarter classes at work, along with all I need to do to get ready to leave--plus, I'm a bit exhausted at the idea of driving for 12 hours to get to the retreat. My spouse is not going with me, but a friend from church is.  I'm hoping it will all work out fine.  We haven't ever travelled together, but we've spent hours together in our once-in-a-blue-moon book club, so I know that we won't run out of things to talk about.

I know that once I get there, I'll be glad I made the effort.  And I know that the retreat will sustain me in the weeks to come.

Let me think about what I need to pack.  First and foremost, some warm clothes!  It's not going to be as warm in the mountains near Asheville as it has been some years.  And Saturday, rain is in the forecast.  I wonder if I can get my feet which are swollen with arthritis this year into my boots.  I'll throw them in the car, just in case.

I'll bring my laptop and my camera.  I'll bring my sketchbook and markers--and I'll marvel in the fact that at the Create in Me retreat 2 years ago was the first time I ever used a Copic marker.  I'll bring my purple legal pad that travels with me.  I'll bring my poetry purple legal pad in the hopes that I can find some time to write.

I have often talked about the fact that the Lutheridge of my youth is very different from now.  When I was a kid, if we forgot to pack something for camp, we were stuck.  Back in those days, Lutheridge was in a much more isolated corner of the mountains.

Now, there's development all around, including a super Wal-Mart.  Some years, that makes me sad.  This year, I feel good knowing that if I need something, I'm not too far away from a store.

No comments: