Friday, August 1, 2014

Preservation or Process?

Last week, I wrote a post about the Mepkin Abbey sculptures made out of fallen trees.  I've been interested to see how the sculptures are surviving the climate.  We first saw them in 2006, shortly after they'd been carved.  And here are some of my later pictures, from 2013.






I love the honeycombs as earrings!



I don't have a good photo, but some of the faces are disappearing.  Bugs?  Wind and rain erosion?




Can anything be done to preserve these sculptures?  Should anything be done?  Below, you see that parts of the sculpture are disappearing and one can see the landscape behind.




Perhaps it's better to give our art to the world and let it go.  Perhaps it's the process that's important, not the product and its preservation.



What do we have to offer?  How can we let go of our offering?

No comments: