Thursday, April 10, 2014

The Creche and the Creative Process

When I went to the Creche festival at Mepkin Abbey for the first time, I was struck by how many of the creches were made from materials that weren't traditional:  leaves, for example.  Alas, I didn't have a camera with me when I went, but the experience has inspired me to this day.



What materials from every day life can we use in our art?  I have a vision of a crèche made of thread spools and buttons.



With something as traditional as a crèche, can we use the scene in startling ways, so that we see the scene anew? 




Is that important?




The above crèche is in the Mepkin Abbey gardens near the gift shop.  The other crèche scenes were actual items for sale in the gift shop when I was there in February of 2013.

No comments: