Saturday, April 5, 2014

Requiem

In this ongoing Ash Wednesday season, I got sad, but not really unexpected, news yesterday.  My colleague who was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer 2 months ago died yesterday.

I wrote a tribute to her in this post on my creativity blog.  I am trying to be thankful for her life.  I am trying NOT to let sadness swamp me.

I had been deliberating about which church service to attend this week-end.  I think I'll go to the contemplative service tonight at 5:05; then I'll go to hear my spouse sing with the Broward Chorale.  They're performing parts of a Requiem Mass, Mozart's I think.  It feels very appropriate.

We won't always have a contemplative service, since we're only doing it for Lent.  I'm glad to have that option today.  While I'll miss my church friends who go to the other services, I don't know that I can discuss my highs and lows with the Worship Together service.  I need a very quiet service, unlike the later service tomorrow.  I thought about going to the 8:30 service, but I yearn for the Compline aspects of the contemplative service.  I want that promise of protection against all the darknesses that gather and threaten.

No comments: