Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Theology for Children

I am the godmother to my nephew, or as the Catholic church would call me, the Christian Monitor, since I can't be his godmother unless I convert to Catholicism.  Long time readers of this blog know that I have wrestled with the best way to be a godparent.  It's a delicate situation:  I don't want to tread on anyone's toes, but I did make some serious promises at my nephew's baptism.

I've done the typical things.  I'm always on the lookout for good books, for example.  Occasionally I write letters.  Sometimes they can be somewhat serious.  Sometimes, I'm just reminding my nephew of the ways I see God at work in the world, lighthearted ways usually, as in nods from a creator who loves us.

Yesterday I set about creating a children's sermon in an envelope.  I tried to figure out a way to combine my children's sermon and my blog post into something new.  Not quite a letter, but more than a set of science project instructions.  He'll get mustard seeds and my writing and a photo and the cover from the church bulletin that he can color.

I loved writing it so much that I started a computer file called Theology for Children.  My mom and I have long talked about this kind of project.  She'd love to create some kind of worship aid that parents and children can use when they can't get to church.  I'd love to create writing that helps children come to know the Triune God who loves them so much and in so many ways.  What does the Holy Spirit look like to a child?  Which of Christ's parables would speak most eloquently to children?  Could I create parables that would help children understand the Kingdom of God?  Could I mention the mothering aspects of God and still get published?

Of course, one of the drawbacks I face is that I have no children of my own.  But that wouldn't have to be a dealbreaker, would it?

I'd love to hear from anyone with ideas on this subject.  Are there examples of good theology for children?  Are there stories you wish were out there for children, but who need some artists to come along and do them well?  What's most important for children to know?

Theology for children--yes, I will give it a whirl. Who knows where this may lead?  At the very least, I'll have some interesting creations to send to my nephew.  

1 comment:

rbarenblat said...

What an utterly beautiful idea. I look forward to reading about this as it unfolds! My own theology differs from yours, of course -- but I often find myself thinking about how to connect my two-and-a-half-year-old son with God, and with God's love, and with the blessings in creation.