Saturday, May 28, 2022

Coastal Ministry

Last week, I saw this tweet from @revpaulwhite, which I'm still thinking about a week later:

"Just had an interesting talk about rural ministry. 

However, in my new context, it would be interesting to think about coastal ministry: fishing industry, seaside tourism, end of the road poverty, seasonal work in leisure. Feels like an area not much talked about..."

I thought about commenting, but as I scrolled through the comments, I reflected that my perspective in southeast Florida might not align with the English context of the tweet and its responses. For example, we don't have much of a fishing industry.  Much of our economy is rooted in tourism, which means that many people are working in all sorts of hospitality industries.  But I'm guessing that's true of many (most?) coastal areas.

My comment would have talked about climate change and how coastal communities will face very difficult challenges in the coming decades.  How will coastal ministries help communities face the enormous losses that are coming?

That's an issue in coastal ministry that's not talked about much . . . 

No comments: