Saturday, February 12, 2022

Singing and Saying The Lord's Prayer

Back when I had my full-time job, I told my pastor that I couldn't do sermons for our February online services because they take too much time for me to pull together, and I was having trouble staying on top of my seminary classes.  So my pastor asked me to do the Lord's Prayer for this Sunday. 

I said yes, because I knew I could get that done fairly quickly.  Then I was severed from my full-time job, so I thought about doing something more complicated than just reading the Lord's Prayer.  I asked my spouse if he wanted to play violin in the background.

He was less interested in that, but he did come up with a cool idea.  He would hum Malotte's version of The Lord's Prayer, while I read a newer version.  We have used the New Zealand Anglican version, so I chose that. I'll put that version at the end of this post.

Here's the video we made:




It's not exactly what I had in mind--I didn't think the plug would be so visible.  But in a way, it works as a symbol.  I'm not sure everyone will know what my spouse is humming, but that's OK too.

We thought about doing multiple takes, but we knew that we don't have to tools to create something that much better--we don't have a recording studio or soundproofing or the know how to edit and improve a clip of video.  Plus, the building where we rent our condo is conducting fire alarm testing all week, so I wanted to complete the recording before it got noisy.

At the end of the day, we went to the rooftop parking garage to see the sunset.  It was stunning, and we stood on the roof, singing the Malotte Lord's Prayer.  I watched people 6 stories below us, parking their cars for a night on the town, getting into their cars at the end of the work day.  Did they hear us?  No one looked up, so I'm guessing that they didn't.  But I liked the idea that they might.  I did wonder how our voices might transform as it moved through the air.  Would we sound more or less in tune?   Would people wonder who was singing?  We also sang "Angels We Have Heard on High" as the sunset shifted to drizzling twilight.  It was a great way to end the day.

We may do it again.  Maybe it will become our evensong practice.



The New Zealand Anglican Lord's Prayer

Eternal Spirit, Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be,
Father and Mother of us all,
Loving God, in whom is heaven:

The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the peoples of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom sustain our hope and come on earth.

With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.

For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, now and for ever.
Amen.

No comments: