Sunday, May 23, 2021

Lurching Towards Inclusivity

Two weeks ago, we'd have awoken to the news of the election of Megan Rohrer, the first openly transgender bishop in the Lutheran Church (ELCA version), the first transgender person to serve as bishop of any mainstream Christian denomination.  My family was together in Hilton Head, SC.

Why is this fact significant?  Back in 2009, my spouse and I spent the week with my mom and dad in Hilton Head while the national assembly of the ELCA met.  That was the assembly that passed the historic sexuality statement, the one that provokes so many people in so many different ways.

But that imperfect statement did pave the way for the ELCA to recognize officially the call of Rohrer; a year later, seven pastors were reinstated and churches welcomed back to the ELCA.

Maybe my family should meet in Hilton Head more often.  I say this in jest, of course--and yet, it's so striking to me that my memories of family reunions in Hilton Head will always be connected to memories of the ELCA lurching towards inclusivity.

No comments: