Thursday, March 11, 2021

Jumping from Online Worship to Online Worship

Last night, one of my Synod FB friends made this post:

"I miss mid-week Lent services something fierce, but am so grateful for the chance to participate virtually.

. . .

For all the pastors, worship leaders, and others who continue to coordinate, record, livestream and share weekly services of many kinds...THANK YOU!! It matters!"

She went on to post:  "The great thing about virtual participation is the capacity to be in multiple places at the same time. Jumped from Messiah Lutheran Church Winnipeg to Faith Lutheran Church, and was nourished by both services!"

I decided not to post a comment, but I was grateful for her insight that one can be nourished by both services.  More specifically, I needed the reminder that the fact that people jump from one online experience to another, and it doesn't mean that the experiences left behind are bad experiences.  

When I see someone leaving the online space I've created, particularly if it's live, I assume it's because the online space is lacking something essential.  I assume people jump because they aren't finding any nourishment at all.

It's good to remember that people who jump aren't leaving because something is lacking.  While I want to be the online presence that is so compelling that people would not have an inkling to leave, it's good to remember that even when people leave, it's not necessarily because of me, of the experience.

And the larger question:  why do I always assume that there's a problem with me, that I am lacking?  Why don't I see the problem as situated in the person who jumps.  In my younger years, I might have been more judgmental and talked about lack of commitment.  In my middle age, I am often the jumper, and I understand the difficulty of focus.

And the even larger question:  why do I frame it as a problem?

No comments: