Monday, April 6, 2020

Sketching God's Hands

Yesterday, as I read the Palm Sunday passages for my Morning Watch Facebook broadcast, I was struck by the idea of palms, both the planted kind, and the ones that are part of our hands.  Throughout the morning, I made this sketch:



Can you see the hand shape behind the palms?  Look for the purple marks.

The hands of God have been on my brain.  About 10 days ago, I made this sketch for my online journaling class:



In some ways, I felt weird about these fingers of God.  But I did like the flame shapes made by the negative space.  I liked that the finger shapes also reminded me of descending doves.

And yes, of course I realize my flimsy attempts to anthropomorphize God.  I realize that God doesn't have hands in the way I would understand hands.  I like the idea that humans are the hands of God sent out to do the work of God.

But I also like these sketches.

No comments: