Saturday, July 20, 2019

Moon Walks and Memory

In my part of the world, you'd have to be living under a rock not to know that today is the 50th anniversary of the footstep on the moon.  There have been news stories and documentaries and all sorts of retrospectives.

I would have just turned 4 on July 20, 2019.  I have a memory of my parents waking me up and bringing me downstairs to the black and white TV.  I have a memory of their friends being there and saying, "You'll want to remember this."

I don't remember seeing the actual footage.  To be fair, I'm not even sure that the memory I have of that night is correct.  My parents never seemed like the type who would shake us awake for a historical moment on TV. 

This week I've been thinking about the space program and how it may or may not have changed the way we see the world--and the way we think about how the world came into being.  These discoveries did not shake my spiritual beliefs, but I could see how that would be possible.

I'm also thinking this iconic photo from an earlier mission:



I was born in 1965, so I don't remember a time before this photo. I don't remember what it was like not to have this vision of our planet photographed from a distance. I know that many have theorized that the environmental movements of the 70's were made more likely by this photo that reminded us of our blue and green planet floating above the inhospitable habitat of the moon.

I hope that the festivities of today remind us of the fragility of it all--and that we feel inspired to attempt great things in the future.

No comments: